If your child has been diagnosed with cerebral palsy, your NHS team should provide you with assistance to make a living with the condition as manageable as possible. You may be provided with medical equipment to help with communication and mobility. And may also have access to speech and language therapy, physiotherapy, and occupational therapy. You may also be able to get financial support from elsewhere. Below are some of the options available to carers.

Child with Cerebral Palsy

Local Authority Support

Children’s services or social services are responsible for determining whether you require any help with the care that is not medical related. This will be done through what is called a ‘needs assessment’ and will take into account the needs of you as a carer and the rest of the family. Non-medical support could include financial help, modifications to the home, disability equipment, care and assistance in the home, access to daycare schemes, and respite services.

If you are eligible for any of the above, you will receive a direct payment from your local authority. If your child is deems to have special educational needs. Your NHS team will agree on a care plan for your child until they are 25.

Government Help

Carers of children with cerebral palsy may also be entitles to government help. Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is not dependent on income and is available tax free to care givers. You can apply for this online or by filling in a DLA claim form. It is not possible to claim for a child under the age of three months, however, so you may want to contact a payday loans direct lender like BingoLoans or another form of immediate financial assistance if you require financial help before this, especially if both partners require time off work during the first few months of the child’s life.

Carers may also be entitles to receive a carer’s allowance or carer’s credit. Those who continue to work may also be provided with additional employment rights and respite breaks. The Carers UK website can advise more on this.


Lastly, there are also a number of charities that have been set up to help families of children with cerebral palsy. The way these determine who receives financial assistance differs. And it is always best to reach out to them individually, explain your circumstances. Ask if they can help with what you require. Several trusts do specifically aim to help low income families.

Charitable organizations can also help with other kinds of assistance. Some carers, for example, find that they require emotional assistance as well as therapy and practical support. Sometimes, siblings of the child may also require help in these areas as well. Your child’s key worker should be able to provide information about these, but the information can also be found online as well.

Looking after a child with cerebral palsy can be challenging. But there are options available to those who require additional financial assistance.